Hair Loss after Pregnancy

Post 1 of 0

Hair loss after pregnancy is quite a common occurrence, especially since most hair loss is caused by hormonal imbalance. Approximately 90% of your hair is growing at any one time, with the other 10% resting. Every two or three months the resting hair falls out and new hair grows in its place. Between one and five months after pregnancy, most women suffer an excessive loss of hair, which is medically termed telogen effluvium. Hair loss after pregnancy occurs in 40-50% of women, so there’s nothing to worry about, especially since it is temporary.

This is how hair loss after pregnancy can be explained: during pregnancy, the growing stage is extended by inflated levels of estrogen, so there is less hair in the resting stage and less falling out every day. This will make you feel like your hair is thicker, but soon after childbirth the estrogen levels decrease and the better part of your hairs enter the resting stage. So basically it is a simple cause and effect of hormone imbalance, but like we said, this is reversible.

Soon after childbirth you’ll observe more hair falling and remaining on your brush; this strange shedding will slowly stop and your hair return to its normal health and shine in less than a year after giving birth. Not all women notice excessive hair loss after pregnancy, but it seems to be more obvious among women with longer hair.

There is no way to prevent hair loss after pregnancy, but you can experiment with different hairstyles and hair products that can help give your hair a fuller look in this period. Many women choose to adopt a shorter haircut in this period, as it is easier to maintain and it eliminates the tiring chores of gathering hair out of shower drains and the bathroom floor. A shorter haircut will not only mask hair loss after pregnancy, but it prevents any longer hairs ending up tightly wrapped around the baby’s fingers, toes, wrists or ankles. These situations can be quite painful for the baby and you might not even realize why he’s crying, so make sure you check him thoroughly for hair tourniquets.

There are some things you can do to help your hair get through this transition, like consulting with your health care provider to ensure a proper balance of hormones and eating a diet high in fruits and vegetables. Avoid wearing pigtails, cornrows, hair weaves, braids and tight hair rollers that can pull and stress your hair. Use shampoos and conditioners that contain biotin and silica, and be very gentle with your hair when it is wet.